Look for these key takeaways:
- Post players cannot force a shooter away from the basket by causing illegal contact.
- Defensive players must stay within their vertical plane.
- See the whole play when refereeing the defense.
- Look for defenders pushing shooters in the back — see the whole play.
- After legal guarding position is obtained, the defender may turn or duck to absorb the shock of contact.
- If a defender while playing the ball causes excessive contact, it may be ruled an intentional foul.
- Calling officials should remain with the play (after a foul is called) to make sure there is no extra unsportsmanlike conduct between players.
- Don’t be in a hurry to report a foul – when other hard fouls have been whistled. Make sure an extra set of eyes is always on the players while reporting.