Know how to spot a fake.
- When a free thrower A-1 “fakes” the release of the ball, it’s considered a violation by that player. Team B is awarded a throw-in a the spot nearest to the violation, which is on the end line (either side). A “pump fake” is the obvious type of violation.
- If the free thrower A-1 does not feel comfortable after starting his/her motion and stops to adjust — the players in the free-throw lane spaces are expected to hold their positions. If either team violates during this action it should be penalized accordingly.
- During A-1’s free throw, a player in a marked lane space “fakes” by rocking forward causing their opponent to enter the free-throw lane prematurely. Depending on which player “fakes” determines the penalty. In this situation:
If B-1 fakes (drawing A-2 into the lane) — the delayed dead ball signal is used indicating a violation and a substitute free-throw is awarded if A-1’s attempt is unsuccessful. If successful, the violation is ignored.
If A-2 fakes (drawing B-1 into the lane) — the ruling official should sound their whistle immediately when A-2 violates. This cancels A-1’s attempt and it’s team B’s ball for a throw-in, unless additional free throw(s) are involved.
- If a player uses “verbal tactics to fake” an opponent into a violation — only the fake is penalized. This would be something like, “you’re in my space” or a time out request.
- If A1 is preparing to attempt a free throw and prior to the release of the ball — B1 (in a marked lane space) fakes — causing A2 to enter the free throw lane prematurely — then A-1 requests a time-out.
If this situation, there is a delayed dead ball (signaled) and Team A is granted a time-out.
After the time out and upon resumption of the free-throw sequence, if the attempt is successful, the violation is ignored. If missed — a substitute free-throw would be awarded as a penalty for the original “fake” violation by B1. Got it ?
Just remember … be ready for those fakes and penalize accordingly.
NFHS Rule References
9-1-3b PENALTY, 9-1-3b PENALTY 4d